Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Music

The kids are having their dance class right now. It's always fun to see what kind of music she brought and what she has them do with it. I love music but the kind of stuff she does never occurs to me. So glad I have her come in and do this on Tuesdays.

They were listening to "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Grieg a few minutes ago and Belle commented that OH! this is the Little Einsteins music! And yes. This is the downside of the whole Julie Clark phenomenon. The kids can all recognize lots of different classical pieces now, but they have no idea that music wasn't created for the episodes. They just know that this is the music that plays while Rocket zooms through the forest or whatever. That makes me sad. I know Julie Clark always used to wax rhapsodical about how her stuff was such a fabulous introduction to learning and appreciating music. I think it's turned into just one more soundtrack.

My mom did a fabulous musical thing with me when I was about four- we listened to the whole Peer Gynt suite and she told me the whole story behind the music. When I hear the Mountain King song, I can hear her voice in my head saying, "so, you wanna be a troll?" I'd much rather know the real stuff than have it sugared down with cartoon characters, I think. Maybe I'll see if I can do that with the kids sometime soon.

1 comment:

shoeaddict said...

I don't know what you are talking about because I'm not familiar with any of that music. I grew up with a guitar playing daddy. I listened to Willie Nelson, CCR, Fleetwood Mac,Peter Frampton, Jethro Tull, The Eagles, etc...

I think you are doing cool stuff. I want to come hang out. I'll learn a lot ;)